South Pittsburg History in Pictures
Downtown Buildings I
To view photographic history click links below:
The First National Bank, corner of Elm Avenue and Third Street, opened in South Pittsburg, Tennessee in 1887. Pictured above in 1906 from left to right are: Tom Mix, Miss Irene McRae, T. G. Garrett, A. A. Cook and Richard Hardy. South Pittsburg City Hall occupies the building today.
Pictured above is downtown South Pittsburg, Tennessee in about 1928. Photograph was made from the corner of Cedar Avenue and Second Street looking south.
Pictured above is downtown South Pittsburg, Tennessee in about 1899. Photograph was made from the corner of Cedar Avenue and Third Street looking north. Tall three story building in center of block is the original Opera House. It burned to the ground around 1907.
Pictured above is old Lowman House, which was located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Second Street. Built originally in 1887 as the City Inn, it burned to the ground in 1911. The Dixie Freeze restaurant stands on the property today.
Pictured above is American Legion Hall located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Third Street. Ground was broke for the building, which still stands today and still the home of the Legion, on October 24, 1925. The picture above was made in 1927.
Pictured above is the W. H. Wilson Block facing Cedar Avenue between Second and Third Streets. It was built around 1909, but did not stand but a few years before it burned to the ground. Today, a portion of the Hammer's department store stands in it place.
Pictured above is the South Pittsburg, Tennessee Post Office. It is located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Third Street and was constructed in 1934/35. It was dedicated officially on April 27, 1935 after opening for business a few weeks before.
Pictured above in 1927 is the Robert E. Lee Hotel, formerly known as the Cameron-Patton Hotel, located at the intersection of Cedar Avenue and Third Street in downtown South Pittsburg, Tennessee. The hotel was built on the site of the old Central Hotel, which was rolled to the back (right side of picture) and incorporated into the construction of the new building. The old section burned in the early 1990s.
The Lee Dillard Photographic Studio at South Pittsburg, Tennessee was established in the 1880s and continued its business well into the twentieth century. The logo above is from a portrait taken in 1888.
The Coca-Cola soft drink company opened a bottling plant at South Pittsburg, Tennessee in February 1914 under the managment of Hunt Keith. Pictured above is the early facility, which was located on Elm Avenue where the Beene-Pearson Library now stands.
Needing more room for production machinery, the Coca-Cola soft drink bottling plant at South Pittsburg, Tennessee moved to this new facility on Cedar Avenue between Fourth and Fifth streets in July 1940. At the time the plant was under the management of Homer K. Fowler. The plant continued under his leadership until the 1950s when Leonard M. Wynne became manager after the death of Mr. Fowler. The plant continued production under Wynne until it ceased operations in 1966. Today, Citizens State Bank and the headquarters for Sequatchie Concrete are operated out of the building.